Updated March 5, 2010
Participation on ALAO committees is open to all ALAO members, with the exception of the Awards Committee. Appointments are made by the ALAO President for two-year terms. Contact the President or President Elect to express your interest in committee participation, or to make suggestions regarding committee business.
- Awards Committee
- Identifies and nominates Ohio academic library staff members for appropriate recognition and awards. Composition: Past President (Chair), President and the Vice President/President Elect. Most of this committee's recent work has focused on choosing the recipient for the ALAO Distinguished Service Award, given annually at the ALAO Conference.
- * Jay Ladd Distinguished Service Award
- Budget and Planning Committee
- Reviews association finances and the strategic plan annually. Develops the annual budget, makes recommendations concerning ALAO finances to the Board. Reviews spending proposals, dues structure and other means for revenue enhancement; proposes to the Board necessary changes in strategic plan objectives, dues structure, and budgetary goals as necessary. Composition: Treasurer (Chair), Membership Chair, Vice President/President Elect, Past President, one first year Board Member-at-Large and one second year Board Member-at-Large. Other ALAO members may be appointed at the President's discretion.
- Diversity Committee
- Addresses issues of diversity, including ethnic and racial diversity; gender; disability issues; international or cross-cultural issues; gay, lesbian, and bi-sexual issues; and age. Composition: Past President; Publications Relations/Outreach Coordinator; and five ALAO members appointed by the President for two-year staggered terms.
- * Diversity Scholarship Guidelines
- Communications Review Committee
- Conducts review of the ALAO Newsletter, Web site and other modes of communication at least annually. Reports recommendations at the April meeting of the Executive Board. Membership includes the Past President (Chair), Webmaster(s), newsletter editor(s), Public Relations/Outreach Coordinator, one Executive Boad Member-at-large, and others appointed by the President as needed. Responsibilities terminate with the reporting of recommendations at the April Executive Board meeting or the following Leadership Retreat, if further actions are required.
- Nominating Committee
- Prepares a slate of at least two candidates for each elected position on the Executive Board, representing various geographic regions and all sectors of academic libraries in Ohio. Membership: Past President (Chair), Diversity Committee Chair and others appointed by the President; responsibilities terminate with reporting of election returns to the President.
- Professional Development Committee
- Promotes continuing education and professional development activities among the membership. Goals: identify continuing education and professional development needs of the membership and see ways to meet those needs; foster sharing of professional development opportunities among members and member institutions; provide financial support for professional development activities for member; promote ALAO within the membership and the library community through encouragement of professional development activities. Composition: all six Executive Board Members at Large. Additional members from the membership may be appointed by the president.
- * Continuing Education Grant Application -- Procedures
- Research and Publications Committee
- Promotes research and publication among ALAO members and communicates information on major granting and funding sources. Goals: maintain current awareness of research grants and other funding sources, and report those opportunities and sources to the membership; make recommendation to the ALAO Executive Board regarding research grants awarded by the Board to support and encourage research projects proposed by ALAO members. Composition: five to seven ALAO members, one of whom is a second-year Executive Board Member At Large.
- * Sources of Funding - Selected Web Sites