Technical, Electronic, and Digital Services Interest Group (TEDSIG)
Updated July 11, 2011
TEDSIG was founded in 1993 as the Technical Services Interest Group (TSIG). The interest group's name and scope was changed in June 2007 to Technical, Electronic, and Digital Services Interest Group (TEDSIG) to better reflect the evolving status of the group's constituents in traditional and emerging technologies. TEDS, a white teddy bear, is the official mascot of TEDSIG.
To provide a forum for discussion and sharing of information for ALAO members who are interested in technical services, electronic resources and systems, and digital services.
- Goals, Objectives and further information,
- Provide a forum for networking and discussion of technical, electronic and digital services (TEDS) related issues in acquisitions, cataloging, metadata, preservation, serials, electronic resources, systems, digital services, and related technology.
- Support continuing education and professional development activities by providing and/or sponosring TEDS programming at the annual ALAO Conference and TEDSIG Spring Meeting.
- Foster empowerment by reaching out and welcoming all levels of staff in academic libraries' technical, electronic and digital services and supporting counterparts form the non-profit and private sectors
- Facilitate building of relationships with like-minded regional organizations, such as EGL-IUG, NOTSL, OhioLINK, OLC, OVGTSL, and others, to share best practices and expertise among members
- Promote the role of TEDS librarians and staff to build awareness of the value of TEDS services to the library and higher education communities
- Recognize and honor significant contributions by ALAO members to the technical, electronic and digital services fields by presenting an annual TEDDY Award
What does TEDSIG do?
Updated Oct. 2, 2012
- Provide a mechanism for sharing best practices and expertise among members
- Hold informational and planning meeting at annual conference
- Promote TEDS programming by sponsoring a program at the annual ALAO Conference and fostering call for conference proposal submissions
- Hold a Spring Meeting workshop on an area of itnerest to technical, electronic and digital services librarians and support staff
- Promote and increase awareness of TEDSIG activities and member issues by regularly contributing to the ALAO Newsletter
- Support communication, discussion, and networking for the membership by providing an email discussion list
- Oversee the nomiantions, selection and presentation of the TEDDY Award
- Identify at least one TEDSIG member to be appointed to the ALAO Conference Planning Committee to represent TEDSIG. IG Coordinator who serves on the Conference Planning Committee on behalf of all interest groups, may be designated to this role.
- Hold elections each March to fill the position of outgoing chair
TEDSIG Co-ChairsUpdated July 18, 2012
Jennifer Bazeley (Term: 2011-2013)
Head, Collection Access and Acquisition
310 King Library
Oxford, OH 45056
Email: bazelejw at muohio.edu
Sharon Purtee (Term: 2012-2014)
Associate Senior Librarian
Health Science Library
University of Cincinnati
Email: sharon.purtee at uc.edu
TEDSIG MembershipUpdated July 11, 2011
Technical, electronic and digital services librarians and support staff in Ohio libraries and counterparts in the non-profit and private sectors, who are members of ALAO, may become members of TEDSIG. TEDSIG co-chairs serve overlapping years and one co-chair is elected annually by the membership in March. Subcommittees and Membership Chair may be appointed as needed.
TEDSIG Steering Committee
Updated July 11, 2011
- The primary responsibility of the ALAO TEDSIG Steering Committee is to increase opportunities for TEDS librarians and staff to participate in ALAO. This is accomplished through the delivery of member services such as program planning for the Spring Meeting and the Annual Conference, through the distribution of information of interest to technical services librarians and staff, and in other ways.
- The Steering Committee is comprised of the 2 Co-Chairs and any interested parties.
- TEDSIG Co-Chairs are elected by Steering Committee membership to two year terms, commencing in alternate years to facilitate overlap in leadership. TEDSIG Co-Chairs do not have to have previously served as Committee members, but it is recommended.
- Members of the TEDSIG Steering Committee will serve one year terms running from one ALAO Leadership Retreat in June to the next. If a Committee member does not contact one of the Co-Chairs to specifically resign from the Committee it will be assumed they wish to remain active for another year.
- Members are expected to attend at least one meeting per year. Meetings are held during the annual conference and at the Spring Meeting. Ad hoc meetings may be called at the discretion of the Co-Chairs to plan events or discuss topics of interest. All other communication will take place electronically.
- One Committee member will focus their activities on growing the ALAO TEDSIG membership and serve one year term as TEDSIG Membership Chair. Membership Chair may be reappointed by the Co-Chairs for successive years.
Updated March 1, 2010
For news and updates on TEDSIG's activities, check out our blog at:
TEDSIG Discussion List