ALAO Procedures Manual
Collection Management Interest Group
Provide a forum for ALAO members to identify and discuss collection management issues, to share information, and to explore avenues of cooperation.
- Promote discussion on topics relevant to collection management and development in academic libraries;
- Promote networking and the exchange of ideas and expertise among academic library staff interested in collection management and development issues; and
- Support continuing education activities in the areas of collection management and development.
- Hold an annual meeting that includes a program or roundtable discussion.
- Regularly contribute items to the ALAO Newsletter on issues of concern to the interest group members.
- Sponsor or co-sponsor programs or conference sessions related to collection management and development.
Any ALAO member with an interest in collection management and development issues is welcome to participate.
See the CMIG Web pages.
Curriculum Materials Center Interest Group
Provide an opportunity at a statewide level for interested CMC and personnel to meet and exchange information.
- Address mutual issues or problems related to Curriculum Materials Centers that can be discussed in a group setting for the purpose of generating ideas and solutions.
- Keep CMC personnel abreast of current curriculum standards on the state and national levels.
- Share ideas and information regarding Curriculum Materials Centers by sponsoring or co-sponsoring programs.
- Provide for networking between Curriculum Materials Centers through the publication of a directory of Curriculum Materials Centers, the CMCIG webpage, and utilizing the CMCIG listserv for information sharing and discussions.
- Promote the interest of Curriculum Materials Centers and CMC personnel through contributions to the ALAO Newsletter and web page.
- Support continued professional development of CMC personnel to insure high standards of service to education programs in the state (Ohio).
To be determined annually by the Chair of the Interest Group in consultation with the coordinating committee and interest group members.
The Interest Group includes ALAO members who have expressed an interest in curriculum materials. This may include, but is not limited to, CMC librarians, education librarians, curriculum librarians, CMC faculty, personnel, and support staff.
The Chair will be elected each spring from the interest group membership.
Originally recognized by ALAO 12/87
Distance Learning Interest Group
Provide a statewide forum for library staff interested in and/or involved with distance learning services.
- Discuss topics relevant to library support for distance learners;
- Share information and provide networking opportunities by sponsoring and co-sponsoring programs;
- Promote library involvement with distance learning programs on Ohio campuses;
- Explore opportunities for cooperation between ALAO and OLN, the Ohio Learning Network; and
- Promote information exchange with the ACRL Distance Learning Section.
- Hold an annual meeting that includes either a program or a roundtable discussion;
- Contribute, when appropriate, to the ALAO Newsletter on topics relevant to the group's membership; and
- Create and maintain a webpage that provides information about academic library services in Ohio that support distance learning programs.
Any ALAO member who has expressed an interest in issues relating to library services for distance learning is welcome to participate.
Instruction Interest Group
Provide a statewide forum for library staff involved in library instruction and information literacy.
- Share teaching expertise and resources
- Support continuing education activities
- Promote the instructional role of academic libraries
- Sponsor a session at the association's annual conference
- Hold a workshop relevant to the group's interests
- Regularly contribute instruction-related content to the ALAO Newsletter
- Encourage communication among librarians involved in library instruction through submissions to the ALAO Newsletter
- Maintain and contribute instruction-related content to the IIG Blog
Any ALAO member who is interested in library instruction and information literacy is welcome to participate in IIG.
- Two co-chairs, serving staggered two-year terms
- Planning Committee is formed annually by a call for volunteers in the ALAO Newsletter. This committee works on items such as planning the spring workshop and the annual conference information table.
Officially recognized by ALAO 6/88, revised 2001, 2004, 2006, 2011
Support Staff Interest Group
Identify issues and areas of mutual concern among academic library support staff and develop communication for the purpose of resource sharing and continuing education.
- Encourage the participation of all colleagues within the profession to achieve the common goal of quality service.
- Foster positive working relationships among support staff at all levels in academic libraries.
- Develop a professional identity for support positions within academic libraries.
- Promote cohesiveness among support staff statewide.
- Promote the exchange of ideas among individuals with similar responsibilities in academic libraries.
- Create an online network of communication to publicize SSIG activities and share resources.
- Promote professional development opportunities focused on the needs of library support staff
- Collaborate with the ALA webmaster(s) to maintain the SSIG web presence
Any ALAO member is welcome to participate in the SSIG.
- Two co-chairs, serving two-year staggered terms, share leadership for the SSIG.
- The co-chairs are designated as first-year and second-year co-chairs, with shared responsibility for website overview and attendance at ALAO Board meetings.
- The co-chairs recruit a Members Committee to assist with workshop planning and achieving other objectives.
- The second-year co-chair is responsible for recruiting a candidate to be appointed as the incoming first-year co-chair.
ALAO and the Support Staff Interest Group sponsor an annual presenter grant of up to $150 to encourage support staff development and participation in the annual ALAO conference.
See the SSIG Web pages.
Technical, Electronic, and Digital Services Interest Group
Provide a forum for discussion and sharing of information for ALAO members who are interested in technical services, electronic resources and systems, and digital services.
- Provide a forum for networking and discussion of technical, electronic and digital services (TEDS) related issues in acquisitions, cataloging, metadata, preservation, serials, electronic resources, systems, digital services, and related technology.
- Support continuing education and professional development activities by providing and/or sponsoring TEDS programming at the annual ALAO Conference and TEDSIG Spring Meeting
- Foster empowerment by reaching out and welcoming all levels of staff in academic libraries’ technical, electronic and digital services and supporting counterparts from the non-profit and private sectors
- Facilitate building of relationships with like-minded regional organizations, such as EGL-IUG, NOTSL, OhioLINK, OLC, OVGTSL, and others, to share best practices and expertise among members
- Promote the role of TEDS librarians and staff to build awareness of the value of TEDS services to the library and higher education communities
- Recognize and honor significant contributions by ALAO members to the technical, electronic and digital services fields by presenting annual TEDDY Award
- Hold informational and planning meeting at annual conference
- Promote TEDS programming by sponsoring a program at the annual ALAO conference and fostering call for conference proposal submissions
- Hold a Spring Meeting workshop on an area of interest to technical, electronic and digital services librarians and support staff
- Promote and increase awareness of TEDSIG activities and member issues by regularly contributing to the ALAO Newsletter
- Support communication, discussion, and networking for the membership by providing an email discussion list
- Oversee the nominations, selection and presentation of the TEDDY Award
- Provide a mechanism for sharing best practices and expertise among members
- Identify at least one TEDSIG member to be appointed to the ALAO Conference Planning Committee to represent TEDSIG
Technical, electronic and digital services librarians and support staff in Ohio libraries and counterparts in the non-profit and private sectors, who are members of ALAO, are welcome to participate in TEDSIG. One Co-Chair is elected by the membership annually in February. Subcommittees and Membership Chair may be appointed as needed.
A Co-Chair will be elected each spring from the interest group membership. Co-Chairs serve staggered two-year terms.
ALAO and TEDSIG sponsor the annual TEDDY Award, which recognizes and honors significant contributions by ALAO members to the technical, electronic and digital services fields.
Last update: Dec. 8, 2011