News and Announcements
About the Committee
The purpose of the Diversity Committee is to address various aspects of human diversity, including ethnic and racial; gender and disability issues; international or cross-cultural issues; gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender issues; and age. This Committee serves as an advisory group to ALAO to assist the organization in providing leadership for diversity by acting as a bridge to promote understanding across racial and cultural lines and to help foster and sustain diversity throughout the organization.
1. Plan, organize and hold educational programs and activities that may:
- Develop among Ohio academic library personnel a sensitivity and positive attitude toward human diversity.
- Encourage library personnel in Ohio to interact with other individuals and organizations that promote diversity.
- Encourage the incorporation of diversity concerns in all areas of Ohio library policy and practice.
- Develop and/or share recruitment and retention strategies to attract a diverse population to careers in Ohio libraries.
2. Award the ALAO Diversity Scholarship annually to a qualified student enrolled in an ALA-accredited MLS program who exemplifies the qualities needed to ensure a diverse library workforce.
3. Communicate regularly to the members of ALAO about activities and items of interest concerning diversity.
4. Produce a diversity column for the ALAO Newsletter.
5. Sponsor a program for each ALAO annual conference.
6. Serve as a link between ALAO and other groups concerned with issues of diversity.
Past President, Public Relations Coordinator, and up to 5 ALAO members recruited by the Committee Chair and formally appointed by the President for 2 year staggered terms. In consultation with the Diversity Committee Chair, the ALAO President may appoint one or more members of the Diversity Committee to serve on the ALAO Program Committee. The Diversity Committee Chair also serves on the Nominating Committee.
ALAO Diversity Committee Roster (2012-2013)
Judith Cerqua, Ohio State University
Jasmine Jefferson, Kent State University
Eboni Johnson, Oberlin College
Diane Kolosionek (Chair), Cleveland State University
Eileen Theodore-Shusta, Ohio University
Brian Hickam, Benedictine University, Past President
Peggy Rector, Denison University, Public Relations Coordinator
Diane Kolosionek, Chair
Cleveland State University
Email: d.kolosionek44 at csuohio.edu
Updated May 3, 2013